If buying a home is a dream you’ve been thinking about for a while now, it may be in your best interest to learn what you need to do before putting in your offer. Our mortgage brokers want you to succeed in life, and owning a home is part of that success. If you’d like to learn more about what we believe are the right steps for you to take before purchasing a home, keep reading.
It doesn’t matter whether you’ve purchased homes in the past, or this is your first time thinking about the big step, you should be prepared with a “preflight checklist,” or so says Barry Zigas, director of housing policy for the Consumer Federation of America. His list is one that we appreciate, and so do many others who have used it with success. Here’s some advice for what to do before you purchase a home:
- Strengthen your credit score. Whether you need to pay off debt or learn why your credit score is lacking, it’s important you take steps to do so. A low credit score won’t always allow you to buy the home you’ve always wanted.
- Figure out what you can afford. Don’t be a house rich, money poor homeowner. Be smart about what you can buy. This way, you’ll be able to enjoy life more by doing things you love to do, such as travel.
- Save for a down payment and/or closing costs.
- Keep money in your savings account.
- Get preapproved for a mortgage with our mortgage brokers.
- Buy the house of your dreams.
By following these six steps, we know you’ll be able to purchase the home you’ve always loved. Learn how to get started when you contact our mortgage brokers here in Fayetteville today!